Inside the Classroom
Our teachers and their class rooms hold the key to success for our students. Our teaching methodology, use of technology, and Standards based assessment come together to create an environment where our students thrive academically, socially, emotionally, and in their Catholic identity.
Blended Learning is a teaching methodology which integrates technology tools with traditional face-to-face classroom instruction. It is not about simply using technology in the classroom; rather it is thoughtful instruction that leverages technology to increase student involvement, engagement, and input. In order to fully facilitate the Blended Learning model, we use:
- PS 4 – 1: Interactive White Boards and access to laptop computers for whole class instruction; iPads, and iTouches for center and small group work
- Grades 1-3: 2:1 iPads and access to lap top computers for whole class instruction
- Grades 4-8: 1:1 Chromebooks
Tech links for: Preschool 3 – 3rd grade and Grades 4 – 8
The Responsive Classroom model is used in schools throughout the country. It incorporates teaching procedures, daily meetings, positive tone and language, making rules, and approaching instruction and discipline in a manner that is respectful of children – all of the ingredients necessary to create a school climate that is nurturing, safe, productive, and Christian to its core. In schools across the nation, educators using these strategies report increases in student investment, responsibility, and learning and decreases in problem behaviors.
What you can expect from a Responsive Classroom at SFX:
- Respect and caring are the basis for every interaction.
- Teachers use an inquiry approach to stimulate critical thinking and problem solving in students.
- Students engage in active learning and are allowed to make choices about their learning.
Standards Based Instruction and Assessment has be expanded to improve the integration of the Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts and Math. We use the Journeys reading & language arts program (Catholic Identity Edition) in grades PS-6 and Everyday Math 4th edition for K-6. Both programs have been written to align with Common Core standards and offer increased online resources and supports for teachers as well as students.