Technology at SFX
Technology skills at SFX are taught purposefully through content areas and use of the devices complements student learning standards and objectives in a safe, monitored environment.
Additionally, students in grades K-8 follow a curriculum which fosters growth of strong digital citizenship skills. Through a Blended Learning model our students are taught to view technology as a tool to enhance their learning while also learning the importance of balancing digital and non-digital skills.
Our Educational Goals for student devices:
- Greater individualized learning through online textbooks and resources
- Further integration of learning of foundational tech tools and skills with academic learning
- Increased opportunities for students to learn how to collaborate and communicate
- Each preschool & kindergarten class has an interactive touch panel for use during whole-group instruction. Kindergarten students are 1:1 with iPads which are used by the teachers to enhance their lessons and further differentiate for student needs. These students are introduced to the iPad as a tool. Kindergarten students take their iPads home each night.
- Students in grades 1-3 are assigned a school-owned iPad. The "device as a tool" philosophy continues; students will use the application Seesaw to create a digital portfolio to show their depth of knowledge. Portfolio access is shared with parents. Students in these grades take their iPads home each night.
Students in grades 4-8 are assigned a school-owned Chromebook for their daily use. Students in these grades take their Chromebook home each night. The "device as a tool" philosophy is further built on as students switch devices from iPad to Chromebook. As a G-Suite for Education school, our students become proficient in the use of Google Drive: Docs, Sheets and Slides as well as Google Classroom and those skills learned are transferrable to using other work suites and learning management systems.
Our two full-time Technology Coaches work with students and teachers regularly to meet educational goals & objectives and ensure that technology is integrated into our academic curriculum.