Our mission is twofold: (1) to provide supplemental nutritious food assistance to those in need in a safe, respectful and prayerful environment and (2) to partner with our community to support the pantry through food drives and volunteer opportunities.
• Located in the basement of St. Francis Xavier church rectory (124 N. Spring Avenue – LaGrange). You may enter through black door on east side of rectory.
• Distributes food every Tuesday from 9:30-11:00 am, 51 weeks of the year (closed week between Christmas and New Year). Random numbers are distributed at 9:Bam. Food may be picked up at the rectory until 8:30 pm on Tuesdays. Please call (708) 352-0168 to arrange a later pick-up.
• Serves anyone who needs food assistance in the 60525 and 60526 zip codes. Registrants need to provide proof of residence (e.g., driver’s license, utility or medical bill, etc.). We serve an average of 90 families (or approximately 275 individuals) each week.
• Each family receives non-perishable and perishable food as well as toilet paper.
Volunteer & Donor Information
• Donations for the pantry are always welcome. Food items may be dropped off at the rectory or left at the side altars at any time. We kindly request food that is not expired. Checks may be made payable to “St. Francis Xavier Food Pantry”.
• Nonperishable food items we need include: nonsugared cereal, pasta, mac ‘n cheese, rice, potatoes, tomato sauce, tuna, peanut butter, jelly, low sugar canned fruits and low sodium canned vegetables, soup, and beans.
• We also provide “specials” when available, including: coffee, tea, snacks, condiments, baking goods, personal hygiene products, baby items, laundry and dish detergent and paper towels.
• Our homeless clients receive a bag specially packed to meet their needs (ready- to-eat, pop-top cans, paper plates, bowls, utensils, cold drinks, etc.).
• We receive weekly food donations from Panera, Starbucks, Aracely’s Bakery, Trader Joes and DeVries Grocery Store. DeVries also accepts monetary donations on behalf of the food pantry which are used to purchase meat for our clients.
• Fresh produce is provided via Trader Joes, a grant from the Greater Chicago Food Depository (GCFD) and Share the Harvest, a group of community gardens that share fresh produce with us. Since Summer 2014, we have had our own pantry garden in Denning Park, through the Park District of LaGrange.
• Leftover perishables are donated to the Constance Morris House, a home for abused women and children. We also share food with BEDS Plus, an overnight shelter organization.
• If you or your group volunteers at the GCFD, we receive $5/hour credit per individual so please be sure to designate the SFX Food Pantry (Agency # A00419) on your volunteer form when you check in. The credit we receive is used to purchase food from the Depository for our food pantry. You can register to volunteer at: www.chicagosfoodbank.org.
• We have about 25 weekly volunteers who assist with food pick-ups and preparing and packing the food bags. In addition, we partner with 80+ organizations, including businesses, area churches, elementary and high school students, and scout groups to provide food and volunteer support.
We are so grateful for the ongoing support of our generous community!
Please email Mary Freeman, Food Pantry Coordinator, or call (708) 352-0168 for more information.