Knights of Columbus
The Knights of Columbus is the largest Catholic family fraternal organization in the world. It provides an opportunity for the men of the parish to deepen their faith, while it offers support for families and involvement in community service.
Voluntary monthly business meetings along with voluntary monthly social events.
Please email Patrick Olson or call 708-363-8169 or email Joe Discipio or call 708-482-8975 if interested or for additional information.
History of the Knights of Columbus
Thanks to the efforts of Father Michael J. McGivney, assistant pastor of St. Mary’s Church in New Haven and some of his parishioners, the Connecticut state legislature on March 29, 1882, officially chartered the Knights of Columbus as a fraternal benefit society. The Order is still true to its founding principles of charity, unity and fraternity.
The Knights was formed to render financial aid to members and their families. Mutual aid and assistance are offered to sick, disabled and needy members and their families. Social and intellectual fellowship is promoted among members and their families through educational, charitable, religious, social welfare, war relief and public relief works.
The history of the Order shows how the foresight of Father Michael J. McGivney, whose cause for sainthood is being investigated by the Vatican, brought about what has become the world’s foremost Catholic fraternal benefit society. The Order has helped families obtain economic security and stability through its life insurance, annuity and long-term care programs, and has contributed time and energy worldwide to service in communities.
The Knights of Columbus has grown from several members in one council to more than 13,000 councils and 1.7 million members throughout the United States, Canada, the Philippines, Mexico, Poland, the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Panama, the Bahamas, the Virgin Islands, Cuba, Guatemala, Guam and Saipan.
The La Grange Council (6483) of the Knights of Columbus began in May, 1973. That Council was invited into St. Francis Xavier Church in 1987.